A quick one: a map of Cold War-era Europe in the Inglourious Basterds universe. Hitler is killed just after D-Day but before Operation Bagration, and the follow-up government (made up of Valkyrie plotters and Wehrmacht opportunists) transfers practically all of its assets east. Germany unconditionally surrenders in early 1945 while the Soviets are still bogged down in Poland, and in the post-war settlement the Soviets get East Prussia and a chunk of Berlin (which they later give up after taking everything that isn't bolted down).
Points of Interest -
- Tito liberated Yugoslavia on his own, but a more aggressive Stalin wasn't as willing to put up with his independent mindset. A Stalinist purge in the 1950s led to a major crisis that ended with Soviet tanks rolling in from Romania.
- Germany is still thoroughly denazified and the ruling junta was thrown out in favor of a democratic government. The German leadership didn't like this, but it was better than Soviet occupation.
- While Germany is united, there are permanent Allied military bases within its borders to prevent the Germans from starting another war. The numbers are significantly lower than in OTL, and German culture is less cosmopolitan. Currywurst doesn't exist ITTL, for example.
- The Holocaust was cut short, but millions still died. The Israeli population is higher, which has led to interesting things in the Middle East.
- As in OTL, Greece experienced a civil war in the late 40s and early 50s, which threatened to spark a war between the two powers. Luckily, that never happened.
- The Soviet bloc is more cohesive and the Soviets are more paranoid. The fear of war is much greater with a united Germany and a bigger Western bloc. Consequently, they have more nukes and are more willing to use them if the West rolls into Soviet territory.